Road to Recovery – Recognising the Problem
After recognition of the problem on hand, it is normal to feel conflicted about giving up the habit of substance abuse, even when one knows that it is causing problems in life. Recovery requires time, motivation and support, but by making a commitment to change, one can overcome addiction and regain control of life.
The first step -Think & Decide to change
- Start keeping track of drug use, including when and how much is used. This will give a better sense of the role that addiction is playing in one`s life.
- List down the pros and cons of quitting the habit of drug use.
- Consider the things that are important such as life partner, kids, parents career and impact on own health. How does your drug use affect those things?
- Ask someone who is trusted about their feelings on your drug use.
- Ask your own self if there’s anything preventing you from changing. What could help to make the change?
Key steps to addiction recovery
- Reminding one`s self of the reasons to change for the better.
- Think about past attempts at recovery, if any. What worked?
- Set specific, measurable goals, such as a start date or limits on your drug use.
- Remove reminders of addiction from home, workplace and other places frequently visited.
- Tell friends/ family/ well wishers about the commitment to recovery, and ask for their support.